Tuesday, January 20, 2009

When one door opens..... everything gets sucked out

Ugh! @*$#!!!

I lost my job just before Christmas of last year due to my own stupidity. I had started in August and one of the requirements for the job is they have to have a copy of your social security card. I hadn't had or needed a s.s. card in years. Last time I had a s.s. card was back in the late 80's. Sooo, I went to the s.s. office to get a new one, the company accepted the receipt until my card arrived. Well, I forgot to take it to them to get copied and then a few months later they asked for it and I couldn't find it. Skippy. Buh bye. Until I got my new one. I took some time for myself, got my new s.s card and reapplied for my job. Six weeks later....., they finally call me back today to offer my job back to me. YES!! I haven't even unpacked the box from my cube yet. It's still sitting in the front seat of my car waiting to go back to work.

About an hour later Mark calls me to tell me that on the thirtieth of this month he loses his job. WHAT! Why? Down-sizing. They are opening a hub in Omaha and being that he was one of the last ones hired out he goes. He does get two months severance pay, which is good. We lose our free unlimited membership to Netflix, which is bad, we are movie-aholics. At least I can laugh.

Just when I thought we could actually get back to normal, I was already planning my trip to the thrift stores, JoAnns, Hancocks, the home improvement store, blah, blah, blah, this happens. Seems like we can never catch a break. And now I worry. It took Mark two years to find this job at Netflix. Up to that time there were two jobs bumping around the state of Iowa as an insurance salesman. Be prepared. Gas prices will go up. They do everytime Mark is without a job.

*heavy sigh*

Count our blessings not our problems. But over the last two years our problems have overcome the blessings. We are alive and reasonably healthy and there are jobs out there for him. I hope. We will make it some how. We always do.

No comments: